Saturday, December 11, 2010

"Preach the gospel at all time, and when necessary, use words."

Have you ever heard that saying? I remember the first time I heard that, and I thought that that was exactly how we as Christians should live. Now I am not so sure. I do think that our lives should be a constant picture of the Gospel, but the more I think about it, the more I think that words are necessary, that we should be preaching the Gospel with our words as well as our actions. I think that all to often, people can use this quote to let fear or insecurities or whatever to keep them from sharing the Gospel. And the more I read about Jesus, the more I disagree with this verse. Since March, I have been doing this Bible reading plane, where you read the Bible in a year in chronological order of the events that happened. Right now, I am in chapter 12 of Matthew and 11 of Luke. So far, every time Jesus had an encounter with somebody, He told them that their sins where forgiven. Shouldn't that be what we are doing, too? Not only just preaching the Gospel with our lives, but telling people that their sins have been forgiven? Telling them of the great love that Jesus Christ has for them.


I am definitely not very good at this. I have a long way to go before I could say that this is the way that I live. But I want it to be my lifestyle. So please, keep me accountable. Challenge me. Pray for me, for boldness and a desire to share the great love of Christ that I know with all those who don't know it. 

2 comments:

  1. I think we should probably not just think of it as one or the other. I am glad you are getting inspired by this because more people need to grab hold of that boldness. However, I think that many people are tired of being preached to in any way, and do not want their sin addressed. I am not saying that we should just make everyone comfortable, because we are indeed not promised a life of ease (2 Tim 3:12). I am saying that some people just need to see someone living a life that is fully fulfilling and attractive, not because of how easy it is, but because of how much joy can be found in a life lived in Christ in spite of trials as James 1:2 encourages. People will always be drawn to a lifestyle that is one which benefits the world around them (1 John 3:16).
    So by no means stop preaching.
    Thanks for these encouraging words. :)
    -BGB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grant, I was really enjoy hearing your perspective on things. I feel like we think really differently a lot of times, so its really neat to hear your thoughts and be challenged in that way! thanks:)

    ReplyDelete